Saturday, November 15, 2008

PROBLEMS

Thanks to computer problems posting "The Wizardry Recapitalized" has been serious disrupted.

In the last month I've had not one but two computers turn into expensive doorstops and discovered that my backups weren't recoverable. Wiz 6 is safely sitting on a hard drive on a dead computer.

It's going to take a fairly elaborate recovery process to get the novel back -- essentially I've got to take the hard drive out of the system, connect it temporarily to another box and download the data. One complication is that the drive is IDE and the box is probably going to use SATA. The other complication is Windows copy protection.

My tech says he can do it, but it's going to take time. In part because all this has put me seriously behind on my paying work and I'm just getting caught up on that.

Oh well. If it was easy everyone would do it.

--RC

2 comments:

Baughn said...

Copy protection?

I've recovered plenty of disks, but I've never heard of something like *that* being a problem. What have you been using? Or maybe, who told you that?

Anonymous said...

This sort of thing should take minutes at most.

Get an IDE to USB adapter and turn it into a USB hard drive. I use this at work all the time when backing up or recovering user data.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002